Monday, June 30, 2008

Mountain Moma

Yes, admittedly it has been a couple of weeks since my last post because I was on vacation up in the Sierra Nevadas, and now I am hooked. I don't consider myself a rustic moutain girl, I am more of a full-service-beach hotel kind of gal and have never even considered taking a respite above sea level, but this past week a close friend invited several families to her house up in Mammoth and I am a changed woman. The natural beauty I saw just blew my mind and each spot on natures playground was more beautiful that the next. I got lost in just 'being' there and it was easy to just be present when surrounded by lush green trees, skies of blue and pristine rushing water.

So I ask myself (and you), how might I re-create this ability to focus and stay present when immersed in the clutter, chaos, stress and busy-ness of daily life? How do I recapture that feeling of wonder as I was walking through the swampy meadow in Yosemite, through the lush green forest, crossing paths with deer, over the rocks and gasping when I saw the nirvana of the blue green rapid falls set against the white slate rock??? This visual spectacle has created an indelible impression in my mind that I can certainly conjure up when I need to focus and get to my 'happy place', but what other tools can we all use to remind ourselves to be present and not miss the moments? How can we make sure to notice things that are not 'framed' for us? How do I make sure to listen to the joy in my son's voice when he picks his first tomato from our vine in the backyard or miss his enthusiasm over the new baseball bases Daddy has just bought and he wants to run around on?

I think my heightened awareness is a start in the right direction and feel that getting out of my usual environment (and for me a dramatically different one) has helped me truly notice what I have been missing/forgetting to notice and reminded me to stay present whether I am immersed in obvious beauty or simply living through the beautiful moments of everyday life.



I'd love to hear some of your tips for staying present, please post your comments on this blog.


Until next week,
Romy
Goddess and Friend of Smokey the Bear and Bambi too

No comments: