Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Momma's Gotta Make Time for Play

Do you feel that you have enough play time in your life? I am not talking about Candy Land or Hungry Hippos!! I am talking about taking time out of almost everyday to do something you really enjoy, something that makes you smile--something to shift your mood, mindset or attitude, something that is fun and has nothing to do with work, errands or carpool. Does this make any sense to you? Maybe you love to paint, scrapbook or do yoga? Or maybe you are a dancing queen? I am talking about taking 10-20 minutes a day to do something that brings out your inner child. I recently read that allowing yourself the freedom to play and take a break in the midst of all of your obligations can really clear your mind, give you renewed energy and give you a fresh perspective on everything. I just love how simple it is! Take a 'mind vacation' in the middle of your busy day and shift everything by just checking out for a few moments.

If you really want proof that this works, just look at your young kids and how happy they are switching from one play activity to the next, constantly immersed in this cycle of recreation, and they become rejuvenated by one playful activity after another. Just think all it takes to recharge your batteries is skipping down the street instead of walking or coloring in your child's coloring book. This 'play' is different for everyone, but whatever it is, it should allow you to escape and think only of that activity for a brief period of time, so when you come back you are renewed and inspired. For me its cooking something new, browsing the beautiful seasonal produce at the local farmers market, hiking, and scrapbooking--I get completely lost in these activities and when I come out of it brings me to entirely new state of mind. What is your 'play'? What do you love to do that might help you get out of a rut now and again? What feeds your soul? I'd love to hear from you!


Wanna come out and play?
Romy, Goddess of the Playground

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I haven't been rollerskating in I think a few years. Well, not in 2 years. I rollerskated around the house in my new skates when my daughter Journey was a baby. So, it's been a while. But I want to plan a date to take my husband down to the boardwalk so that we can rollerskate/rollerblade together for a couple hours. It should be fun!