Monday, April 28, 2008

Moma's Got Too Much To Do

Are you one of those women who make daily or weekly 'To Do' lists like me? Do these lists tend to rule your life? And if you don't check off enough things on your to do list, do you feel like you have wasted a day? Depending on what phase of life I am currently in, these lists can sometimes be my saving grace and other times be the bane of my existence. Well, right now these damn lists are bogging me down and making me feel overwhelmed even before I get started.

So today I had at least ten things on my 'List', and it was my precious son's last day of Spring Break. So what's a Moma to do? I should have blown off this ridiculous unimportant list and gone to the beach because it was over 90 degrees in the Valley, it would have been gorgeous at the beach and I would have shared a spectacular day with my little man. So what did I do instead? Spent a couple of AM hours with my favorite companion my PC, did laundry, cleaned up, had a brief meeting with my hubby and by this time it was lunch time (and I was moving at a snails pace btw being in vacation mode and all). We went out for a family lunch which was a nice treat, and then I dragged my patient boy (whom I kept dangling the 'we will go to the park' as a treat at the end of the tunnel) to a kids clothing store because 'I had to return stuff and he NEEDED shorts' and we laughed, giggled and played our usual silly games to make the best of it, but for heaven's sake as I think about it now in retrospect it was ridiculous!

I should have pushed my errands aside and immersed myself into this day and saved the to do's for another. By the time we finally got to the park at 3:30pm, it was blistering hot and we both had very little interest in playing during the highest heat of the day. I realized as we were walking back to the the car after our brief stint at the park that I blew it, I missed the opportunity to really enjoy the day and instead focused on the superfiical and the unimportant. I still WASTED the day even though I did check a few things off the list, but I missed the moment! How many moments have you lost in your life/with your children that you will never get back? So my valuable advice is toss the list and save the mindless errands for another day, and treasure the moments that really matter.


TTFN,
Romy, Goddess of Trying to Absorb the Moment

No comments: