Friday, April 25, 2008

Moma needs some space

So I had a crazy week--It is spring break, I had family in town from the East coast doing the tourist circut, and it is already Friday and nothing has gotten done! I have a week of things to catch up on, a million to dos, exercise, doctor's appointments, grocery shopping, this blog to write and a four year old who just wants to play and give me hugs and kisses, can anyone relate??? When I finally sat down to write this blog today, my little guy comes into my office to play his Leapster (I Spy Challenger on the highest volume setting btw) and I just want to be left alone, a little peace and quiet time to think, regroup and get back on track. And oh yeah, my hubby who shares an office with me is always in my space too (oh how I love my man) and today his precious computer has returned from the computer hospital and he is nuturing it back to life (huffing and puffing his frustrations throughout the day) so he has not left the office for one moment either--and a girl needs a little breathing room now and again, don't you agree?


I truly adore my boys and our life, but sometimes a mom needs space, alone time in her own castle, nothingness, a little time to herself with no one needing anything from her. Time to breathe, time to just do whatever she wants, whatever the mood strikes her. Sometimes I mourn for my pre-mommy days when my time was my own and I could do whatever I wanted without checking in with anyone else. Those were the days, but that is a far off fantasy, so the question is how do I carve out my own time and space in the middle of this wonderfully rich and chaotic life? I am talking about that recharge the batteries time, clearing the mind and taping into my passion and creativity so I can finally get my new business off the ground and keep myself whole, integrated and focused.


I don't think the answer is anything profound or magical, I think you just need to ASK for space (leave the house boys, don't bother me for ONE hour please, go to the park, take your laptop to Starbucks, honey) and schedule that tabla rasa time/put it in your Blackberry and stick to your appointment no matter what! Don't put it on the back burner, don't wavier, don't cancel your appointment, this is your peace and sanity we are talking about girlfriend. It needs to be a top priority and perhaps something less pressing goes on the back burner becasue these 'space vacations' are what will help you keep your sanity and sustian your joy in mommyhood and wifedom.



I would love to hear your suggestions, tools or tricks you have that help you get a little of your own space every now and then.



That's all for now,

Romy
Goddess of Space Vacations

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I never heard of the term "space vacation",but I totally understand the need for one. I guess I take my vacation in the very early hours of the morning--usually waking up around 5am so I have at least an hour of silence and me time. Otherwise my house in a bunch of commotion until around 8pm and by that time I have probably passed out on the couch! I love what you have to say--and speak of the devil now one of my girls has just woken up from her nap (way too early!) Until next time, Kalisha