Monday, March 31, 2008

Momma's still got her brains + creativity too!

I just read an interesting and relatable article about the much touted concept that after you have kids you lose your ability to focus, remember things etc-I have heard it referred to as 'mommy brain' and many feel that along with giving birth all the blood that nourishes the brain goes out the birth canal never to return (OK some even say that you lose your mind). Well, I have to admit at times I certainly feel this is true, not for the blood loss reason, but more so because I have more things on my plate/more responsiblities than I did before and probably most significantly because I DON'T GET ENOUGH SLEEP!



With that said, the article did a nice job of reminding and reframing for me that contrary to popular belief, having kids gives you purpose and motivation to actualize your goals and dreams. For me, I realized that because I have a constantly happy, exhuberant, passionate child who sees a world filled with possibility and magic, he constantly reminds me to embrace and enjoy everyday, every moment to the fullest. Basically, I am saying that having a child inspires and reignites creativity, rather than squashing it and I think I need to use this momentum and energy to move forward instead of using it as an excuse to hold me back. It's just a matter of how you look at it, and today I was reminded that the starry-eyed wonder of a child's mind is my gift and motivation to go for it and enjoy the ride!



I hope this idea helps you shift your perspective on motherhood and embrace the magic in your own mind.



Warmly,

Romy
Goddess of Spring Awakening

No comments: